- Teachers College, Linköping 1942-1946.
- Cantor exam, Linköping 1948.
- Erica Child Guidance Clinic, Stockholm 1952-53.
- Department of Psychology, Stockholm University:
- Elementary school teacher 1946-52; 1953-54.
- School psychologist 1954-55.
- Research assistant 1955-58.
- University lecturer 1958-64.
- Associate professor 1965-69.
- Olof Eneroth professor of psychology, Stockholm University, Department of Psychology 1969-1992.
- Emeritus from January 1, 1993.
Scientific Affiliations - Academies of Sciences
- The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences:
The executive committee, member 1986-1998; Vice-president 1991-94.
Section for Economics and Social Sciences, Chairman 1991-99.
Committee for an analysis of the situation at the Swedish Universities, Chairman, 1985.
National Committee for Psychology, Chairman, 1985-91.
- The Royal Swedish Academy of Letters, History and Antiquities, member, 1977.
- The Royal Swedish Academy of Engineering Sciences, member, 1989.
- Academia Europaea, member 1988, Vice President, 1988-97.
- European Academy of Arts and Sciences, Paris, member, 1985.
- New York Academy of Science, 1980.
- Rumanian Academy of Sciences, member, 1992.
- Russian Academy of Sciences, foreign member, 1999.
- AAAS, member, 1974.
Other Scientific Affiliations 1985-2001
- The Center for the Study of Child and Adolescent Development, Penn State, USA, member of the Advisory Board, 1985-91.
- Carolina Consortium on Human Development, Center for Developmental Science, Chapel Hill, USA, Advisory Board, member, 1993-2000.
- Institute for Children, Youth and Families, Michigan State University, member of the External Advisory Board, 1992-1996.
- International Society for the Study of Behavioural Development (ISSBD), member of the Executive Committee, 1991-98.
- European Association of Personality Psychology, member of the Board, 1986-92.
- Max-Planck-Institute for Human Development and Education, Berlin, Germany; Scientific Advisory Committee, 1987-98.
- Swedish Social Science Research Council, 1970-1977, member.
- Swedish Research Council for Humanities and Social Sciences, Vice-president, 1977-83; Chairman of the Executive Committee, 1980-83.
- The Scientific Council of the Swedish Defence Organization, 1974-1983, member.
- National Council for Crime Prevention: Scientific Committee, member, 1980-87.
- The Bank of Sweden Tercentenary Foundation, 1980-86, member of the Board.
- Committee for Economic and Social Sciences, EC, Brussels, 1991-93, member.
- The US Social Science Research Council, New York, 1990-96; member of the Board of Directors.
- European Science Foundation, Executive Council:
The European Network on Longitudinal Research on Individual Development, 1985-92, Chairman.
The ESF Review Committee for Brain and Behaviour Research, 1988, Chairman.
- The Swedish Council for Planning and Coordination of Research, 1980-83, member of the Board.
- The Swedish Psychological Association, Secretary, 1957-59; Vice-chairman, 1959-61, Chairman, 1961-62.
- The Swedish Association of University Lecturers, 1962-64, Chairman.
- The National Government Commission; Report on methods for personnel selection in public service, 1968-70, member.
- The Swedish Association of University Professors, 1970-78, Chairman.
- School of Social Studies, Östersund. Member of the Boartd, 1970-
- University Chancellor´s Office: Report on Cooperation Organization at the Universities, 1971-73, member.
- Government Commission: Postgraduate Education, 1974-77, member; Committee: Report on the University Positions, 1975-76, Chairman.
- National Board of Health and Welfare, member 1978-80.
- University Chancellor´s Office: The National Faculty Advisory Board, The National Government Research Advisory Board, 1980-83, 1986-89, 1991-94, member.
- Committee “The State and Research”, 1993-94, Chairman. Report nr 5 in Agenda 2000 from the Ministry of Science and Education.
- The Publishing House 'Natur och Kultur' 1980-95; Chairman of the Board 1988-1995.
- Government; Report on the British System for Allocation of Resources to Research Councils and Universities, 1989.
- The Science Commission of the European Communities - Economic, Social and Human Sciences Group, 1991-1993, member.
- European Association of Personality Psychology, 1986-92, member of the Board 1989.
- Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken, The Socio-Economic Council, 1981-95, member.
- The Planning Committee for Administrative, Economic and Social Programs at the Swedish Universities, 1978-80, member.
- The Swedish Pugwash Group, 1996, member.
Editorial Boards (past and present memberships)
- Multivariate Behavioral Research
- Applied Psychological Measurement
- German Journal of Psychology
- Annual Review of Social Psychology
- Journal of Theoretical Psychology
- Zeitschrift für Psychologie
- The Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry
- Anxiety Research
- The European Journal of Personality
- European Journal of Psychology of Education
- Personality and Individual Differences
- Development and Psychopathology
- Criminal Behaviour and Mental Health
- The Journal of Research on Adolescence
- European Journal of Psychological Assessment
- The Spanish Journal of Psychology
- Russian Journal of Foreign Psychology
Invited Lectures at Foreign Universities
- University of California, Berkeley, USA
- Battalle Research Institute, Seattle, USA
- University of Bergen, Norway
- University of Wageningen, The Netherlands
- University of Leiden, The Netherlands
- University of Budapest, Hungary
- University of South Florida, USA
- University of Chicago, USA
- University of Toronto, Canada
- University of Trondheim, Norway
- University of Lancaster, England
- University of Sheffield, England
- University of York, England
- University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, USA
- Texas Christian University, Fort Worth, USA
- Pennsylvania State University, USA
- University of Wisconsin, Madison, USA
- University of Warsaw, Poland
- University of Jyväskylä, Finland
- University of Stanford, USA
- University of Helsinki, Finland
- University of Santiago de Compostela, Spain
- University of Moscow, Russia
- Harvard University, USA
- Stanford University, USA
- Humboldt University Berlin.
Invited papers at symposia and conferences in Austria, Bulgaria, Canada, China, Columbia, Czechoslovakia, England, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Japan, Malaysia, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Russia, the US, Spain, Switzerland.
International Symposia on Interactionism
- Saltsjöbaden 1975, Papers published in Magnusson, D., & Endler, N. (1977). Personality at the Crossroads. Hillsdale NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Lidingö 1979, Papers published in Magnusson D. (1981). Towards a Psychology of Situations. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Lidingö 1981, Papers published in Magnusson D., & Allen, V. L (1983). Human Development: An Interactional Perspective. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Lidingö 1984, Papers published in Magnuson, D., & Öhman, A. (1987). Psychopathology: An Interactional Perspective. Orlando; Academic Press.
- Lidingö, 1994, Nobelsymposium, papers published in Magnusson, D. (1996). The Life Span Development of Individuals. London: Cambridge University Press.
Published books, journal articles and book chapters in psychometrics, personality and development. Main interest in general models and methodology in personality and individual development research.
- Knight of the Northern Star, 1973.
- The Royal Medal of the Seraphim, 1989.
- Swedish Royal Academy of Letters, History and Antiquities, Gold Medal, 2006.
- Honorary Doctor of the University of Jyväskylä, Finland, 1984.
- Speaker of the Year, 1990, Irish Psychological Association.
- Speaker of the year, 1997, Faculty of Psychology, Bergen, Norway.
- Honorary member of the Swedish Psychological Association, 1989.
- Honorary Doctor of the Humboldt University in Berlin, Germany, 1996.
- John P. Hill Memorial Award, Society for Research in Adolescence, USA, 1998.
- Honorary Doctor of the State University of Humanitarian Sciences in Moscow, 1998.
- The European Aristotle Prize, 1999.
- SRCD Distinguished Scientific Contributions to Child Development Award, 1999.
- International Association of Applied Psychology ( IAAP) for Extraordinary contribution to Applied psychology. Invited Fellow, 2006.
- The EAPP Distinguished European Personality Psychologist Award, 2008.